Thursday 1 December 2011

Why 1914?

I am not a history buff. I mean, the older I get, the more appreciation I have for the "long arc", as they say. But before my more creative half and I got interested in this house, I wouldn't have been able to tell you the difference between the Spanish-American War and the Louisiana Purchase, other than that one involved some damned irresistible, 3-tiered pastries. When really did electricity come to homes? The telephone? Kitchen appliances? Based on my exposure to "Leave it to Beaver" reruns, I am solidly certain it was some time before 1950, but whether it was closer to the civil war or to WWII? Well, let's say, I'm not a fan of "Jeopardy" or homework that involves memorization.

I've glossed over this lack of well-roundedness thus far by nodding my head a lot in conversations, looking inquisitive, and changing the subject. So, it's actually kinda fun for me to now finally get around to learning the stuff I sucked at as a kid and thought was totally irrelevant to me and the rest of the MTV generation.

The plan for this blog is to relive the year 1914 (the year my house was built) and cram at least as much book knowledge as actual hammering and painting and check writing into this home renovation project. In the end, maybe I'll have both leveled up the house and my understanding of my place in history. And when 2014 rolls around, I'll be ready to host the most kickass, costumed, period themed, 100-year-old birthday bash a house could ever want.

And now ... the reason for all this fuss.


Pretty cool, eh?

1 comment:

  1. It's gorgeous!! I can't wait to see it all unfold. I'm jealous. This is just the kind of thing I would love to do - if I was the one who got to do all the dreaming and decision-making and someone else got to do all of the hard labor. :-) And, bless you, Detroit will be so much the better for your wide-ranging, depth psychological perspective! Yaaaay! So excited for you and your creative half!

    ReplyDelete